Friday 2 March 2012

On Red Lipstick - Rockalily Instalment

Despite all the well-deserved publicity (I won't say "hype", since I have negative associations with that term!) surrounding this brand in the beauty blogging world, I wasn't aware of it till very recently. If you read a lot of beauty blogs I'm sure you've come across Rockalily, run by the gorgeous and inspiring ReeRee Rockette, so I won't add too much about the brand here - I'll just say that, if you enjoy wearing red lipstick and you don't own one by Rockalily yet, you're missing out big-time!

L-R: Rockette Red, Roulette Red
A glance at my Beauty board on Pinterest (and, indeed, the fact I'm doing a red lipstick series at all - I'm subtle like that) will reveal that I like red lips. I'm very pale, with light blue/grey/indecisive eyes and very dark hair, so I love the dramatic effect of a bright, blue-based red lipstick on me. I'm also a bit of a sucker for all things retro - this is a horrendously generalised catch-all term, I know, so if I were to be a bit more specific I'd plump for the eternally flattering fifties style, particularly dear to my heart because it embraces The Waist and shuns my particular sartorial nightmare, the low-waisted skinny jean (possibly the least flattering item of clothing known to womankind). And we all know how those fifties housewives worked a red lip, repression be damned.

However, I had yet to find a red lipstick which wore comfortably while lasting all day, meaning I generally sported red lips on a one-evening-only basis. So when I eventually came across so many rave reviews by bloggers about Rockalily lipsticks, I had to try one!

Top: Rockette Red; bottom: Roulette Red; background: laptop (vintage)
My first pick was Rockette Red. It's a blue-based bright red - a flattering, classic shade. But the formula is what really impressed me. It's pretty matte, which is my preferred finish for bold lip colours, but more importantly it has none of the issues which bedevil so many matte shades: it goes on very smoothly, and isn't at all drying, hurrah! I found it to be very pigmented, with amazing lasting power, even without lipliner (I went with my usual MAC Cherry, which matched fine). The first time I wore this, I went through cups of tea, biscuits, and dinner, and my lipstick was still going strong, with only minimal touching up required after a few hours. This stuff is genius, and makes wearing red lipstick as effortless as it can be!

As you can see, one lipstick quickly turned into two: I soon had to (you know how it is) get Roulette Red, Rockette Red's slightly darker sister. Same flattering blue tone and outstanding matte formula, but the colour is a touch deeper. You probably don't need both, but when a lipstick works this well, hey, why not? (To see these on the lips, I refer you to the many glowing reviews by various bloggers collated on the Rockalily website.)

These lipsticks are priced at £14 each, which is by no means cheap - however, bear in mind it's only 50p more than MAC, and the formula is SO much better than some of MAC's mattes (I'm looking at you, Ruby Woo, and not just because you rhyme pleasingly). I think delivery is around £2.50, and I found it to be super speedy. All in all, highly recommended!

Oh yes, and they smell lovely. I rest my case.

Till next time,

Josephine x

PS. If this isn't enough red lipstick for you, there's more where that came from: choice selections from Revlon and MAC.

No comments:

Post a Comment