Tuesday 1 May 2012

MAC Lipsticks: Lustre Edition

I only have three lustres - I know, only! They're all more recent purchases, after I figured out that the more eye-catching shades I bought initially don't cut it for everyday wear in some circumstances! These three are all very wearable for daytime in any environment, particularly since the lustre formula is relatively sheer and glossy - you can slick it on lightly, or build up the colour for more intensity.

The wear time isn't great, but this is in the nature of the formula; these wear off nicely and are so easy to reapply, so it isn't really a problem. Lustres are the perfect choice if you don't fancy the done-up look of a opaque, highly pigmented lipstick (such as the mattes or amplified cremes, both of which are coming up!).

L-R: See Sheer, Syrup, Plumful
Top to bottom: See Sheer, Syrup, Plumful
Top to bottom: See Sheer, Syrup, Plumful
See Sheer is a muted coral, particularly lovely for spring/summer. MAC describes it as a "grapefruit pink", which is admittedly cute, and grapefruit is spot on, but if you want a pink lipstick, go for one of the other two!

The easiest way to describe Syrup is as one of those "my lips but better" shades. This is probably the most natural-looking, easy to wear MAC lipstick I own! (See also Cosmo, which is a shade darker and more pigmented, but also made of awesome.) Syrup is what I would class as a neutral or "nude" lipstick, since it is a close match to the colour of my lips (rather than the colour of my skin, as with other so-called nudes!). This is easy to touch up without a mirror, to give a dash of colour and make your face look brighter and more groomed - I usually apply it on the train in the mornings! Highly recommended. (MAC have this down as a "cloudy pink", whatever that means.)

Plumful is a deeper, plummier (surprise!) version of Syrup. Given my penchant for berry colours and purples, I love this as a wearable member of that colour family. Great for a slightly more dramatic lip which is still very wearable. MAC call it a "blossoming rose-plum" - I guess rosy plum is quite accurate, though how helpful "blossoming" is is up for debate.

The first MAC lipstick I was ever recommended was Patisserie, a lustre which looks like another MLBB colour, but it was out of stock at the time (excellent sales tactic, Oxford MAC girl!), and now I have Syrup I don't feel the need to buy it. Honest...

Till next time,

Josephine x

5 comments:

  1. These look great, really want to give Syrup a go! x

    http://wewereraisedbywolves.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great colour for when you fancy wearing some lipstick but don't want anything too full-on, probably the most easy-going shade I have! Definitely recommended x

      Delete
  2. I love the look of syrup, but I already ordered two from their website yesterday so I should wait a while until my next order. It's strange as I completely overlooked syrup on the website and was more interested in see sheer and plumful, but from the swatches syrup looks to be my favourite xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Syrup is definitely easy to overlook in store - I always get drawn to the brighter pinks! But it's the perfect everyday colour to slap on without too much thought. I love the other two as well, but Syrup is the all-rounder :) Hope you enjoy your new purchases! xx

      Delete
  3. I really love plumful and lustre finish lipsticks so much easy to control color on your lips also mouistrizing ^.^ Actually I like Creme In Your Coffee shade too but I don't so much like cremesheen finishes so do you know about similar to Creme In Your Coffee color but finish is glaze or lustre one? Thank you ^.^

    ReplyDelete