Monday 2 April 2012

New Things Edition I: Face Things

So it has been an age since my last post! Meaning I have acquired quite a few new things in the meantime. Kicking off with...

FACE THINGS

L-R: Murad Oil-Control Mattifier SPF 15,  NARS blushes in Douceur and Deep Throat, NARS Sheer Glow foundation in Siberia, Topshop blush in Head Over Heels, Liz Earle Skin Repair Moisturiser (normal/combo skin)
L-R: NARS Douceur, NARS Deep Throat, Topshop Head Over Heels
Top to bottom: NARS Douceur, NARS Deep Throat, Topshop Head Over Heels (OMG IT'S OUTSIDE)
First up, NARS. Having seen various bloggers of the pale persuasion wear Douceur with aplomb, I was keen to try it out. I'd previously overlooked it at counters in favour of a few more eye-catching shades, since it is pretty unremarkable in the pan (i.e. at first glance it's a boring matte rosy brown, which also looks dull swatched above), but recently fancied a neutral blush to balance my collection, which is impractically heavy on loud pinks and the like. So I trotted along to Selfridges after classes one day, and ended up buying it. I now wear it nearly every day, with any colour lipstick or eyeshadow, for a perfectly neutral, natural cheek, without fuss or shimmer. Brightens up and defines the face, without being overbearing. Bold claim: if I only had one blush, ever, it would probably be this one, for sheer versatility and wearability. (Maybe.)

Frankly, the raved-about Deep Throat pales in comparison as far as I'm concerned. I've hardly worn it since buying it for about £15 on Buyapowa over a month ago. It's a pretty, shimmery peachy pink, and I'm sure I'll wear it more in the summer, but I'm not overly enthused about it to be honest. At least I got it cheap!

The other new blush in my stable(?) is Topshop's cream blush offering in Head Over Heels. Not quite sure why I bought this - I was in the Oxford Circus Topshop to look at the lipsticks (I can't be the only person who shrinks in fear from the prospect of buying clothes in that shop, it's basically a rugby scrum), and came away with this too. I do love my Topshop cream blushes, so I suppose my collector's mentality came out (especially because it's only £6). Confession: I haven't worn it yet. Oops. But it is very pretty, and I love the formula.

A sideline: why the heck have Topshop discontinued all the colours in this formula except Head Over Heels, Neon Rose & Flush? They're all squarely in the bright peach/coral family, and the testers sitting side by side are verrrry similar. The neutral one, Nutmeg, is my favourite! And there are now no cooler tones/pinks in the line at all. Bizarre. Sort it out, Topshop. (I do love your amazing lipsticks though - a story for another day.)

I also picked up NARS Sheer Glow in Siberia from Cami's blogsale. I had hesitated to buy this full price (about £30), but couldn't resist it when a bargain popped up! So far, I'm on the fence about this. It's pale, all right - a smidge yellow for me, but light enough for this not to matter too much when blended. However, it accentuates dry/flaky patches I hadn't even noticed before! I don't own any other foundations which do this, so was a bit surprised, especially as it's aimed at people with drier skin (I have normal/combo).  It went on slightly better when I slathered on moisturiser beforehand the second time round, but I'm a bit unimpressed so far, having heard so many people praise this so highly! Still, I shall persevere. And the paleness makes me happy.

The Murad Oil-Control Mattifier was a spur-of-the-moment online purchase after seeing it recommended on the Beauty Boudoir. It was available (relatively) cheaply on Look Fantastic, and as a fairly shiny person I thought I'd give it a try. So far I've mainly used it in the evenings, since in the daytime I tend to use my SPF 50 Alpha-H moisturiser, especially now it's actually sunny. It acts like a primer, leaving a smooth surface for foundation etc, and it definitely reduces shine. It's looking good so far!

Finally, I also threw in my pot of Liz Earle Skin Repair Moisturiser (normal/combo skin one) - I've had this for a pretty long time and never ever used it, but when Sheer Glow started going all flaky and worrying I whipped this out of my drawer and gave it a go. I wouldn't really use it on my T-zone, especially my chin as it's pretty damn oily (ick), but on cheeks etc it's good stuff - fairly non-greasy and easily absorbed. Will definitely be using this more from now on!

And now got to dash, since my deadline is ticking ever nearer (oh lordy). Next up: lip things, feat. Topshop and Revlon.

Till next time,

Josephine x

PS. Bonus picture of animals frolicking in the sun...

L-R: Bertie and Dennis

2 comments:

  1. I found the same thing with Nars sheer glow. I have oily skin and it highlighted dry patches that i didn't know existed. I also found it really caked around the nose area. I love Douceur and Deep Throat, you can't beat nars blushes. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes that's exactly the problem I'm having with it, patchy/flaky round the nose. Bizarre, and not exactly what you expect for the money! Still, I can forgive Nars just because of his awesome blushes! Definitely want to get some wear out of Deep Throat this summer x

      Delete