Saturday 14 January 2012

40 Beauty Questions

For a first post, I thought I'd spare you (my entirely hypothetical reader) my shoddy camera-work and have a crack at the ubiquitous, brilliantly nosy 40 questions. If only I could be this productive when it comes to coursework!

SKIN CARE
-How many times do you wash your face daily?
Once in the morning, once in the evening. Even if sometimes it’s only a makeup removing wipe (bad habit I know)!

-What skin type do you have?
Normal/combination – I get an oily T-zone which I hate! The only time I ever had dry skin, in nasty patches on my cheeks, was when I used the Clinique 3-step cleansing system thing – the toner (or whatever it’s called) is basically just alcohol, yuck!

-What is your current facial wash?
Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish – gold.


-Do you exfoliate?
I used to, with all sorts of fairly harsh products, but now I find the muslin cloth does the job.

-What brand do you use?
Just the trusty ol’ muslin cloth at the moment.

-What moisturizer do you use?
When I remember (which is supposed to be every day, oops), it’s the Alpha-H Daily Essential Moisturiser SPF 50+ - I don’t use a moisturiser at night.

-Do you have freckles?
Yes, I do get them across my nose and cheeks if I go in the sun too much – hence the sunscreen!

-Do you use eye cream?
Nope, though I probably should!

-Do you or did you have acne prone skin?
Thankfully no, though I do get spots on and off around my chin, lovely!

-Did you ever have to use Pro-activ?
Guessing this is a type of acne treatment, so no.

MAKE-UP
-What foundation do you use?
Full disclosure: I don’t really use foundation! I do own several (Revlon ColorStay, Illamasqua Light Foundation, Bourjois Healthy Mix and Healthy Mix Serum) and went through a phase of wearing foundation daily for about 6 months last year, but I just can't seem to get on with it! During the whole time I wore it regularly, I lived in fear of hugging someone and depositing half my face on their clothes (not the best way to make an impression). That aside, the main problem I have is colour: pretty much everything I've tried is too dark and/or yellow, and leaves a horrendous tide-mark between face and neck - attractive. Next on my list to try is Illamasqua Skin Base, but I've heard pretty mixed reviews. Probably a whole separate post right here, so will stop rambling now!

-How about concealer?
 Like the rest of the world, I use the Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection concealer, which I love.

-Do you know your undertone colour?
I always think this is simple, but then I get confused again! Definitely cool-toned (pink). Hence the problem with the yellow/apricot/peach (why??) foundations which "drug store"/high street brands tend to put out.

-What do you think of fake eyelashes?
In my head, I like them - definitely a fan of the big-lash look. In photos, however, they often veer towards drag-queen territory, which is a fun place to visit but not necessarily where I want to live. Must try the much-vaunted Ardell Demi Wispies, Eyelure isn't quite cutting it any more!

-Did you know that you are suppose to change your mascara every 3 months?
The packaging says 6 months. And I laugh in the face of danger. (Though I'm guessing an eye infection isn't exactly a laugh a minute, so this is probably a deeply foolish attitude.) As long as it applies OK, I keep wearing it.

-What brand of mascara do you use?
Currently, Benefit They're Real! Which is impressive, but a nightmare to get off at night.

-Sephora or MAC?
In the absence of Sephora in the UK (oh cruel fate), I'm going with MAC.

-Do you have a MAC Pro-card?
Nope. And I feel mightily out of place in the Pro store, as well.

-What tools do you use in make up application?
Brushes, fingers. Nothing unusual.

-Do you use make-up base/primer for the eyes?
Yes, I love Too Faced Shadow Insurance. Take that, Urban Decay. I'd also like to try MAC Paint Pot in Painterly.

-For the face?
No. Even when I wore foundation, I didn't bother - who needs an extra step in the morning? Though if I did go back to wearing foundation, I might investigate primers.

-What is your favorite eyeshadow (colour or shade)?
 Let's go with the classic "hit pan" criterion: Vex, Dazzlelight, Blanc Type, and Patina (mysteriously - must've been using that one in my sleep). All MAC.

-Do you use pencil or liquid eyeliner?
I used to use pencil on the upper lashline, but I found I ended up with a mirror image printed on my eye-socket. (Yup, I'm weird like that.) So now I use liquid for that, and save the pencil for the lower lashline, if I fancy channeling Kate Middleton.

-How often do you poke your eyes with an eyeliner pencil?
Never. How dextrous am I? Mascara wands, on the other hand, are a different story (They're Real should come with a health warning, that sucker hurts like hell).

-What do you think of pigment eyeshadows?
The only loose eyeshadows I have are the Barry M Dazzle Dusts, of which I bought loads about four years ago. I still wear about 3, but they are of course fall out city.

-Do you use mineral makeup?
Never tried it, but would be interested to.

-What is your favorite lipstick?
MAC - most worn is probably Cosmo. Or Revlon - I had a meaningful relationship with Mauve It Over for a year or two.

-How about lipgloss?
Wearing lipgloss reminds me of being about fourteen. So no. Though if I had to choose, I'd say Revlon do some nice lipglosses (Super Lustrous or similar, the formulation of Lilac Pastelle etc). I did buy two Intense Lipglosses in the Illamasqua sale once, which are lovely and pigmented but I never reach for them.

-What is your favourite blush to use? 
Oh so many - Illamasqua Katie is a strong contender though. And my first Nars blush purchase (the gorgeous Sin) is a new favourite too.

-Do you buy your makeup on ebay?
 No, too time-consuming and the cynical part of me assumes it's all fake.

-Do you like drugstore makeup? 
The humourless Brit in me objects to the term, but yes, I do buy/wear a lot of makeup from Boots, Superdrug and the like.

-Do you go to CCOs? (cosmetic company outlets)
I've never got round to it yet, so the odds aren't good I ever will!

-Did you ever consider taking make-up classes?
Never actively considered it, but I'm sure it would be fun! I'd certainly love to learn more about applying more dramatic eye makeup.

-Are you clumsy in putting on makeup?
Let's just say winged eyeliner and I have a love-hate relationship.

-Name a makeup crime that you hate?
Blue eyeshadow? I'm pretty easy going on that front to be honest. To be honest, I hate it more when a statement is phrased as a question? (I know, I can't help being a grammar bitch.)

-Do you like colorful shades of makeup (lipstick,eyeshadow) or neutral ones?
Despite owning a whole palette (I know, I know) of colourful MAC eyeshadows, I only ever wear neutrals (maybe with a little purple thrown in). But I adore bright lipstick, and of course bright blush.

-Which celebrity always has great make up?
 No idea.

-If you could leave the house using just ONE make up item,what would you use? 
Blush.

-Could you ever leave the house without any makeup on?
Of course, popping to Tesco for emergency milk being a prime example.

-Do you think you look good even without any makeup on?
 Awkward. Not too scary I suppose?

-In your opinion, what is the BEST makeup line?
I think Revlon is a pretty good high-street all-rounder. I do love a bit of MAC, but they have a fair few dud products. I think my next obsession might be Nars, though I'm not sure my wallet can handle it!

-What do you think of makeup?
 I find it strangely compelling. And ruinously expensive!

 Till next time,

LL x

No comments:

Post a Comment