Sunday 15 January 2012

My MAC Neutral Palette

Disclaimer: this is a pretty epic post, apologies!

So I thought I’d post about my MAC neutral eyeshadow palette – because I’m endlessly nosy about what shades other people pick for theirs. Also, when I first started out buying MAC, owning a full palette was the ultimate dream (I now own two, because I’m greedy). And finally, I’m so pale and very cool-toned, so warm colours generally look awful on me – hence my palette has none of the warm browns that look so lovely on other people. I do own the (in)famous Woodwinked and All That Glitters, but I look distinctly ill if I wear them, so they’re relegated to my less-used colours palette, awaiting the day I really want to look like I’ve cried myself to sleep (you never know). I'll pop up a separate post on that palette another time - hopefully admiring all the pretty colours will encourage me actually to use them!

Without further ado, the palette in all its dusty glory:


Left to right, top to bottom:
Crystal Avalanche, Blanc Type, Nylon, Dazzlelight, Phloof!
Vex, Omega, Era, Patina, Satin Taupe
Blackberry, Coquette, Copperplate, Print, Typographic

Given my sadly lacking photography skills, I think swatches might be a bridge too far; there are so many good versions out there (for starters, Temptalia and Karla Sugar, who do a far, far better job that I ever could). So I’ll stick to some descriptions and opinions of each colour.

Crystal Avalanche: This is my latest purchase, which found its way into my basket while buying two Iris Apfel lipsticks. It’s a white shimmer (veluxe pearl I think – I’m not great on the finishes, as they’re not printed on the pans). Not overly impressed so far, since it’s not quite as pigmented as I thought it would be, but it does the job for inner corner highlighting. I’ve only used it once or twice though.

Blanc Type: this is a pale cream, with a matte squared finish. When I first got it I didn’t think I’d use it, as it hardly shows up on my skin tone (just a tad darker/yellower), but it’s great for blending out darker shades, and on its own for a minimal wash of colour over the lid to even things out. Lovely.

Nylon: It was this or Ricepaper, and I’m glad I got this! It’s a white-gold shimmer, without being overly yellow or harsh. Gorgeous highlight.

Dazzlelight: I’ve already bought a replacement pan. Need I say more? Veluxe pearl finish, so it applies like a dream. I love using this as an all-over wash on the lid, or as a highlight. Neutral cream shimmer, with a subtle pink cast (this and the next shadow are as pink as I can sensibly go on the eyes without looking ill). Would repurchase over and over.

Phloof!: Basically a pink-toned version of Nylon. I use this as a highlight with purple or other cool-toned colours, or as an eye-brightening lid colour when I’m feeling lazy. Very shimmery, so if that’s not your thing, maybe go for a shade with a more satin finish.

Vex: Another favourite, as you can tell. Backup already purchased. A unique colour I think. A cross between grey and champagne shimmer, with pink/green sheen. Great all over the lid with a grey or purple in the crease (also just generally great – definitely check this shade out if you’re pale and cool-toned).

Omega: Not 100% sold on this one. I haven’t used it an awful lot, but it’s been in my palette for a few months. It’s a fairly cool mid-brown matte shade, OK in brows, OK in the crease. Not rave-worthy. I definitely didn’t need this one – more a result of the foolish yet overpowering urge to fill up the palette.

Era: I feel this has potential, but I’m yet to discover it in full. It’s basically a slighter lighter version of Omega with a subtle shimmer. I bought this with the intention of wearing it with winged liner and red lips, but I feel I probably already had other colours which do the job. And like Omega this is a smidge warm for me.

Patina: I’m not quite sure how I hit pan on this – a fairly early purchase in my MAC spree, I suppose. It’s lovely though – depending on how much you blend it out, it can be a bronzed brown, or an antiqued gold. I think it has a pink/green duochrome thing going on, but it’s subtle and depends on the light. Just about cool enough for me to wear all over the lid. Worth checking out.

Satin Taupe: Obviously had to own this, given its cult status – though I did um and ah about purchasing for a while. As I’m sure you know, it’s a plummy brown, or a browny plum, depending on how you look at it. Great colour pay-off, lovely on the outer lid with Vex or similar. Deservedly popular I think (though how “taupe” it is remains up for debate).

Blackberry: A muted plummy purple matte shade, great for in the crease. I like this with Vex and/or Phloof! (yes, sadly that shade does have an exclamation mark in its name – cheers MAC). I bought this in preference to all the matte browns MAC seems to do so many of, and it does the job. Can look like a generic crease colour, or more purple if blended out.

Coquette: I never hear this shade talked about on Youtube/blogs, but I love it! It’s a green-toned brown (which sounds, and is, quite weird), which I use every day in my brows – because I live in fear of having red-toned brows if I use a “truer”, warmer brown. Fairly decent pigmentation for a matte colour, but not scarily dark for brow-related purposes. Also good in the crease. Would definitely repurchase.

Copperplate: I love this eyeshadow. The perfect taupe (cool grey-brown – though I’m not completely sure that’s what taupe is). Amazing application and colour pay-off (matte squareds are awesome, why are there not more of them MAC?). I used to use this in my brows pre-Coquette, but I had to be careful to use a light hand.

Print: I bought this ages ago, along with Electra (in my colour palette), but I hardly ever use it. It’s a decent enough satiny mid-grey, but somehow I never reach for it – occasionally for smoky evening looks, which let’s be honest I rarely bother with. Pigmentation isn’t outstanding, but I suppose that’s not what this shade is for. I have definitely found MAC’s selection of greys and grey-toned colours very limited compared to the legions of browns, which is a shame. Though maybe I just need to play around with this one more to give it its due.

Typographic: I bought this in preference to Carbon, which I hadn’t heard great things about. It’s another matte squared, which means it’s impressive on the pigmentation/application side of things – basically a matte black, which is useful to have around but not a daily-use item. I mainly use this as a liner with an angled brush (when I can be bothered, i.e. rarely), or to darken the outer V for evening eyes. Worth having, but probably very dupeable with a cheaper brand.

I now have black eyeshadow all over my hands and keyboard, having been swatching each shadow messily on my fingers while typing (not worth recording in the medium of photography to be honest), so I will stop there. Writing this has definitely inspired me to mix up my eyeshadow choices a bit more, and there are a few relative non-starters in the palette which I wouldn’t pick again given the choice, but overall I’m pretty happy with the neutrals at my disposal! Also, a full palette is definitely a satisfying thing to own (if you don’t let yourself think about the expense!), and I use mine every day.

Next up (at some point): the colour palette, and lots of eyeshadow-related buyer’s remorse!

Till next time,

LL x

1 comment:

  1. Hey, i'm thinking of getting coquette for my brows, how dark is it and what is your hair colour ( deciding on a mac shadow for brows is so confusing!) xx

    ReplyDelete