Tuesday 17 January 2012

My Blush Collection - mainly Topshop and MAC

Let me start by saying that I absolutely love blush. It's probably one of my favourite makeup items, both to buy and to wear. I'm very pale with very dark hair, so generally without a bit of colour to my cheeks I can look a bit Twilight-esque (if you'll forgive the reference).

So here are all the blushes I own, on my delightful rumpled duvet (I should really iron more often). In common with a lot of makeup addicts, I don't intentionally "collect", but have somehow ended up with far more blush than I could probably get through in a lifetime (worrying thought). And I still have lots of blushes on my "to swatch with a view to purchasing" list (catchy) - see previous post on this topic.

For years I owned only one blush at a time. I know, I know - those were the days. I think the inaugural blush was one of the Bourjois pot ones, possibly in Rose d'Or or similar, and I actually used the horrible little brush it came with. A good look, I'm sure. I then moved on to the L'Oreal Blush Delicieux, one of which (in the shade Bois de Rose) has survived and is pictured above (small pink square, next to the lonely NARS). I didn't buy a new one until I'd used up the previous one - what kind of crazy talk is that? Anyway I'm pretty sure L'Oreal don't make these any more, so I'll spare you a picture of the dregs I have left.

Then my friend gave me Benefit Posietint for my birthday, which I adored, and which I still think is a good product. It's not everyone's cup of tea - if you don't blend pretty speedily you end up with radiant and unshiftable pink dots on your cheeks, for one thing - but I find it gives a gorgeous natural pink flush which lasts for ages. I don't reach for it much except when it's hot (so that'll be never), but I did finish my original one and repurchase. Another downside: the pink shiny layer on the container does flake off extravagantly with use, leaving the product looking distinctly grotty. I also have the mini samples of Posietint and Benetint which came with Glamour sometime over the summer - can't say I'm overly enamoured of Benetint, a bit too ferocious and ink-like even for my blush-loving tastes.

Then came the release of Topshop makeup (in May 2010, I think - in the run-up to my finals, which of course led to copious amounts of time spent browsing the internet in mild panic). I bought the much-hyped Neon Rose cream blush, and now own four:


L-R: Neon Rose, Pinch, Flush, Nutmeg

These are lovely! Cute and convenient packaging, though it does get a bit dirty with use; handy mirror for touch-ups (I've had Flush in my everyday bag for the past month); great cream-to-powder formula which is matte (I love a matte blush) and blends easily. I just apply and blend with my fingers, mucky pup that I am, as I think using a brush like the MAC 188 would be more hassle than it's worth with these.

Neon Rose and Flush are both listed on the Topshop website, but I'm pretty sure more shades are still stocked in the larger stores. Neon Rose is a brilliant spring/summer colour, which can be a bold, vivid coral or worn blended and (fairly) subtle. Pinch is the one I wear least, since it's easy to overdo this intense raspberry shade, but with the right application it's a lovely pink. Flush is a toned-down version of Neon Rose, a bit more pink and milky, which gives a great day-to-day healthy glow (cliche ahoy), easy to slap on on the train in the mornings! And finally Nutmeg, which as you can see from the pan has had a lot of love in the past - a browny-rose shade, which I imagine NARS Douceur to be like. Very natural, if the slightest bit muddy on my skin tone (this is probably just personal preference, as I like dolly-pink cheeks!). I would definitely buy any new shades released in this formula, especially since they're only £6 each - bargain!

I'll spare you my deeply amateurish swatches taken with flash, and instead direct you to the excellent Delicate Hummingbird, who not only has the blush collection of my dreams but takes better photographs too.

Next up we have MAC.



Clockwise from top left: Something Special; So Sweet, So Easy; Frankly Scarlet; Harmony


Before I get started, I should point out that the frankly awe-inspiring KarlaSugar has amazing swatches of pretty much all MAC blushes known to man/woman. I'm sure you knew that already, but there it is again. As you can see, I actually don't have many MAC blushes. Which is especially surprising, given the sheer volume of MAC lipsticks and eyeshadows I own. To be honest, the appeal of MAC blushes somewhat eludes me, and I'm not keen to change that if I can help it. I did once have a flirtation with the freakishly bright Pro shades, but couldn't face the prospect of buying (and inevitably filling) a palette. Long may this abstinence last!

I think Harmony was my first purchase out of these, ordered online (never a wise move) because I fancied trying my hand at contouring. Having a round face without much definition (which is a nice way of putting it), cheekbones were always the dream, so I was prepared to spend some cash in pursuit of them. Harmony is a decent contour colour for us pale girls - fairly cool in tone, and not overly pigmented. The beautiful Julie uses it to great effect in lots of her looks. However, I've never quite got on with this, and have since taken to using the Illamasqua Cream Pigment in Hollow whenever I have a stab at contouring (which is rarely). Then came Frankly Scarlet, bought after an MUA in the Covent Garden store applied it, which I do love and use. With a light hand and a 188. For wintry Snow White cheeks, or blended even more for a dolly flush.

The two other shades are the new-formula Cremeblend blushes. I bought Something Special on a whim in Debenhams one grey, rainy "summer" day last year, and it really is rather nice: a milky pink coral, for a peachy cheek that's perfect for spring. So Sweet, So Easy was out of stock at the time, so of course after playing with the tester I had to order it online. Less essential than Something Special (but of course), it's a very pale cool-toned pink, not overly pigmented but fun for a subtle, fresh girly look. I will definitely be breaking out both of these colours when (if) the warmer weather rolls round.

A couple more MAC cheek products:


L-R: MAC Lightscapade MSF and Azalea Blossom Blush Ombre


I didn't own a powder highlighter, so I picked up Lightscapade from a recent collection, the name of which escapes me, after hearing lots of good things about it. I do use it daily, and it's a pretty highlight - not too gold for my skintone, which is a plus - but I can't help thinking MAC Dazzlelight eyeshadow does much the same thing for less. Ah well. And then we have Azalea Blossom, which I bought in a blog sale from the lovely Kelly, because Cami had raved about it and it looked purdy. It is purdy - a delicate lilac/pink, which puts it squarely in the realm of Blush-I-Must-Have - but somehow I'm not quite as love with it as I thought I would be. If you fancy picking it up, it's currently available in the Daphne Guinness collection.

So, having written over 1000 words on blush (the mind boggles), I will take a break here, probably have a cup of tea, and cover Illamasqua, my single NARS blush and a few odds and ends in another post.

And finally, I now have a renewed desire to wear a different blush every day, as well as buy several new ones. Success.

Till next time,

LL x

2 comments:

  1. I was JUST SAYING that I totally need more blusher in my life and now thanks to this post, I think I shall build things up by starting with the Topshop ones. Great collection! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES you can never have too much blusher! The Topshop ones are great, minimum fuss, minimum expense, and really pretty - perfect. And thank you so much for my first ever comment! xx

      Delete